Wednesday, May 22, 2013

To tent the dessert

Hmm...  the weather is getting warmer again yay!!  Summer is on the way and it's time for summer gathering and parties.  I usually make a tray of mini cupcakes or mini tarts or lemon squares for the host when such occassion occurs.  And I don't have container which has lid big enough so I use plastic wrap to cover my tray.  But I don't want the plastic wrap to lay on top of my dessert, so I was using toothpick, cocktail umbrellas (this one is fun) to hold up the plastic wrap.

Then I decided to make a center piece that has some weight of it's own and that I could put in the center of the tray to hold the plastic wrap off the top of my dessert (to tent it).

Here it is, a shot of each profile:


The base is a milk carton box (template found on the web).  Cut, assembled and decorated with pattern paper.  The tea cup, spoon, small rose are stamped, coloured, fuzzy cut and ahered to milk carton.  The top part is die cut four times, stamped, then coloured.  Scored down the center and glue together with a bamboo skewer in the middle.   The milk carton is filled with beans, the skewer inserted and then the top of the milk carton glue shut.  There are actually tiny cup cakes that's fuzzy on the cake tray, but it's not showing too well.

All stamps are from Hot Off the Press (Fancy-a-Cuppa), except the brown and green butterfly, it's from KaiserCraft.
Scallop die is from Hero Arts (Frame Cut DI002).

And I am entering this project to Die Cut Diva's May Challenge - Anything But a Card.

Thanks for stopping.  Have a sweet day!!

Ps.  I made another version but it didn't work, the die butterfly was not strong enough to hold up the plastic wrap.  On it's own it looks pretty, it's just not functional!  :(


5 comments:

Arlene said...

What a great centerpiece. Love the idea and the milk carton is wonderful. Too bad the butterfly wasn't strong enough... so pretty. But I do like the cake tray stamped on the scalloped pieces. Clever.

So glad to have you join in the Die Cut Divas' challenge.

Kara Lynne said...

That's a beautiful solution!

Robin K. said...

Cindy- this is such a clever and beautiful idea! I always hate using toothpicks so I will definitely be CASEing your idea:)

Steph said...

These are so creative! Beautiful and useful at the same time :)

paula laird said...

What gorgeous Tent posts? These are so beautifully done & I could see the butterflies being used as table decorations - perfect for a summer/spring get together. Thank you for playing along with us at Die Cut Divas.